Potato, Leek & Celery Root Soup
Servings 8 People
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 3 cups Leeks thinly sliced, white part only, thoroughly rinsed of grit
- 6 cups Chicken or vegetable stock preferably homemade
- 1 Large celery root peeled and diced
- 4 Large potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup Half and half
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Chives thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. Parsley finely chopped
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add sliced leeks and slowly sauté until completely soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add stock, celery root and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes and celery root are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool slightly, then puree completely in a blender.
- Return soup to soup pot and add the half and half; season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Reheat soup until very hot but do not let it boil. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of chives and parsley on top of each bowl. Serves 8 to 10.
Suggested Pairing - Chardonnay, Carneros 'Heritage Reserve'