Spinach-Arugula Salad with Apple, Chevre, Toasted Almonds and a Curry Vinaigrette
- Salad Ingredients:
- 4 cups freshly washed and destemmed baby spinach
- 4 cups freshly washed baby arugula
- 1 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 pkg. chevre (6 oz.), crumbled
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. curry powder*, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 to 1½ cups salad oil (a neutral oil is nicer than olive oil in this recipe)
Prepare vinaigrette: whisk together the mustard, honey, lemon zest and juice in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in curry powder to taste. Next add salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in one cup of the salad oil in a fine, steady stream until fully incorporated. Taste the vinaigrette and add more salad oil to make the flavor milder if desired. Set vinaigrette aside till salad is done.
Place the spinach, arugula and scallions in a large mixing bowl. Pour approximately ½ cup of the curry vinaigrette over the greens and gently toss with vinaigrette until they are lightly and evenly coated. Divide the greens among 6 to 8 salad plates. Place three or four slices of apple on top of the dressed greens in a decorative manner. Sprinkle a generous spoonful of crumbled chevre over the top of each salad followed by a sprinkling of toasted almonds. Serve within a few minutes of finishing the salads. Makes 6 to 8 salads.
*Chefs Note: There is a huge variance in flavors and spice levels in curry powders. For best results, use a blend that you are familiar with in terms of flavors and spicy heat. This salad is also nice as a main course salad with the addition of grilled shrimp, fish, or chicken.