Pasta with Shrimp and an Herbed Lemon Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Large pinch dried chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 25-30 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon thyme, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 lb. hot cooked thin pasta such as tagliatelle or angelhair
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade or chopped
Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and then the garlic. As soon as the garlic begins to cook add the chili flakes. Stir the garlic and chili flakes a couple times, then add the chicken stock. Increase burner heat to high and once the stock begins to boil reduce to a simmer. Simmer the stock mixture for about 5 minutes then add the cream. Bring the sauce back to a simmer and cook another 5 minutes. Next add the lemon zest, juice and salt to taste. Stir and heat the sauce to a gentle simmer then add the shrimp to the sauce. Cook the shrimp in the sauce very slowly and gently until they are just done but still tender. Add the lemon thyme, if using, and the chives to the sauce and stir to mix in evenly.
Next, place the hot cooked pasta into a large decorative serving bowl. Pour some of the sauce into the pasta and give it a quick stir. Now pour the remaining sauce and shrimp over the top of the pasta. Garnish with the fresh basil and serve immediately. Makes 5-6 servings.