Kristine’s not-so-classic BLT
- 8 large slices of good olive or herb bread
- 1 small package (3.5 oz) chevre (goat’s cheese)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, washed, cored and sliced
- 3 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. good olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs. bacon, cooked until crispy and drained of excess fat
Mix together the mayonnaise and the herbs in a small bowl. Toss the greens with the lemon juice and olive oil in another small bowl; add salt and pepper to taste.
Quickly toast the slices of bread. Spread goat cheese on half of the slices while they are still warm. Spread mayonnaise mixture on remaining four slices of bread. Divide the tomatoes, greens and bacon among the slices of bread with the goat cheese, carefully placing each item on each sandwich half. Place remaining toasts (with herbed mayonnaise) on each sandwich and serve immediately.
Makes 4 sandwiches.