Grilled Beef Steak Brochette with Greek Lentil Salad
Pair with Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 ½ lbs. filet mignon, cut into 36 medium-large cubes
- ½ cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 heavy duty bamboo (or metal) skewers
- 2 cups cooked lentils (cooked “al dente”)
- 1 cups crumbled Feta cheese (well drained of brine)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cups cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cups tomato, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Make the lentil salad: Gently toss the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a smaller mixing bowl until nicely incorporated. Pour about one cup of the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently stir to coat the salad lightly. Taste the salad and add more dressing to taste. Set salad aside while brochettes are prepared. If making this salad ahead of time, do not dress the salad until just before serving. Keep the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator and then dress it just before serving. Serve salad at room temperature for this recipe.
Make brochettes: Place the parsley, garlic, thyme, soy sauce, salt, pepper and olive oil into a small blender. Process herb mixture until very finely chopped, thick and paste-like.
Next, place the beef cubes into a medium mixing bowl and add the herb mixture. Mix beef with the herb mixture until all the beef is nicely coated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight (the longer the better for best flavor development).
Take beef out of refrigerator about an hour before grilling. Cover a sheet pan with two layers of foil. Place 5 cubes of beef onto each of the 6 skewers and place each onto the prepared sheet pan. Prepare a grill (charcoal or gas) so that it is at a medium-high heat. Grill the brochettes about 5 minutes, turn them over and grill about another 4 or 5 minutes, or until they reach desired doneness. Remove first layer of foil and place the grilled skewers onto the clean foil. Allow brochettes to rest a couple minutes.
Serve: Place a large spoonful of the lentil salad onto each of 6 serving plates. Now place a brochette onto the plate and drizzle a spoonful of salad vinaigrette over the beef. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
Makes 6-8 brochette plus salad servings.