Wild mushroom tart with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese
Tart Dough (for one 9-inch tart):
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 8 tbsp. Butter, chilled
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Shallots, minced
- ¼ lb. Fresh domestic mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ lb. Fresh wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (try a mix of stronger flavored mushrooms like shiitake, porcini, or morels—whatever you can find at your grocer or farmer’s market)
- 2 tsp. Fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. Fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. Fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh herb sprigs for garnish (more sage or thyme, or even chives or borage flowers)
Cut the butter into several pieces, then add it to a food processor bowl with the dry ingredients. Process for a few seconds while adding the water, then process until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Remove the dough, form into a small cake, wrap in plastic, and chill for about 30 minutes before using.
Roll out tart dough to about ¼-inch and place it into the center of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough with your fingers so it is even throughout the pan; cut off the edges with a sharp knife and make smooth with your fingers. Carefully prick the surface of the dough with a fork, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15-20 minutes. Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for 12-15 minutes or until just set and not browned. Remove from oven and set aside until filling is ready
Prepare the mushroom filling: Heat the olive oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots and the mushrooms until all are tender and the mushroom juices have reduced completely. Remove the mushrooms to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Add the chopped herbs, salt and pepper, cream and eggs to the mushrooms and stir to mix well. Carefully pour mushroom mixture into the prepared tart shell; evenly spread mushrooms throughout the tart shell. Bake tart in a preheated 350 degree F oven for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow tart to cool slightly before serving, then sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese and additional fresh herbs for garnish. Makes 8 servings.