Chef Kristine’s Cookbook
Potato, Leek, and Celery Root Soup w/ Herbed Smoked Salmon Topping
For pairing with Schug Carneros Chardonnay
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 leeks white part thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed of grit
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 large or 2 small celery roots
- 4 large potatoes peeled and rinsed
- 1 quart whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. smoked salmon gravlax style, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon thyme finely chopped (regular thyme is okay)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large soup pot over medium heat. Add sliced leeks along with a teaspoon of salt. Stir to coat leeks with butter, then cover pot. Stir occasionally and allow the leeks to “sweat” for about 15 minutes or until completely softened but not browned. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, completely remove outer skin and any dark or gritty areas from celery root bulb. Work quickly- this is a vegetable that oxidizes very fast. Dice the celery root quickly and add to the simmering leek mixture. Simmer the vegetables approximately 20 minutes, or until celery root cubes are tender. Slice the potatoes into ½-inch thick slices and add them to the simmering vegetables. Cook potatoes until they are falling apart, about 15-20 minutes.
- Make smoked salmon topping: Mix the smoked salmon together with the herbs, olive oil and lemon juice. Smoked salmon comes in varying degrees of saltiness- check soup topping and add salt and pepper to taste- it may not even need salt.
Finish and serve soup:
- Cool soup slightly and puree using a blender or blender stick. Add the milk, season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat soup till near boiling and serve immediately with Herbed Smoked Salmon Topping or chill soup for later use.
Makes about 10-12 servings soup.