Chef Kristine’s Cookbook
Grilled Salmon with Olive-Herb Dressing
Fish and Vegetables:
- 6 6oz each small portions of fresh salmon
- 30 very small baby Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked till just tender
- 1 small onion, top trimmed off, peeled and sliced into 8 wedges through the root end
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups salad greens, washed and spun dry
- Optional: chopped fresh tomato, chopped hard boiled egg, fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, mined
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 anchovy, finely minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt, to taste (the salty ingredients in this relish may mean additional salt is not needed)
Begin by Making Dressing:
- Toss all the dressing ingredients into the pitcher of a blender. Cover and pulse to process the dressing so that itis chunky and nicely blended. Set aside until fish is ready.
Prepare Potatoes and Onion:
- Skewer the potatoes onto 4 or 5 skewers and place them onto a sheet pan covered with foil. Skewer the onions (through their thickest parts, the root ends will help hold them together) and place them on the sheet pan alongwith the potatoes. Brush all the potatoes and onions with olive oil on all their sides, then sprinkle themgenerously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside until grill is ready.
- If using charcoal, light coals and build up a medium-high fire that will last 30-40 minutes. If using a gas grill,turn in on at medium-high and allow to fully heat.
Grill Potatoes and Onions
- Beginning with the onions, grill them until they are slightly blackened and beginning to soften. Set them ontoyour sheet pan and cover them with a second piece of foil to help them stay warm. Grill potatoes until they arenicely browned and fully heated inside. Place them onto the sheet pan and cover them with foil. Once onionshave cooled a bit, remove them from the skewer. Cut off their root ends. Keep covered with foil.
- While the potatoes and onions are grilling, place the salmon portions onto a sheet pan with two layers of foil.Brush the salmon on both sides with olive oil then sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Check the grill to see that it is still at least at a medium-high heat level. Next, place the salmon portions ontothe grill. Remove top layer of used foil to yield the second fresh layer of foil. Discard used foil. Grill salmon onfirst, meat side for several minutes, until it is ¾ of the way done. Then, carefully turn it over onto its skin side.Finish cooking on the skin side untill desired doneness is reached.
- While salmon is grilling, place greens, grilled onions and potatoes onto serving plates. As soon as salmon isdone, remove it to the sheet pan with the second (clean) layer of foil. Remove salmon skin if desired. Place thesalmon portions onto each plate, top with a generous spoonful of the dressing. Last, drizzle the plates with alittle more of the olive dressing. Finish plates with chopped egg and/or tomatoes, if using. Serve immediately.Makes 6 servings.