Chef Kristine’s Cookbook
Flatbread with Ricotta Cheese, Crispy Prosciutto, Arugula and Marinated Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 flatbread about 6 x 12 inches, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup marinated sundried tomatoes see below
- 2 oz. prosciutto slices
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fennel pollen or ground fennel seed
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme very finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallions thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves washed and spun dry
- ½ cup tomato vinaigrette from the marinated tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg. (4 oz.) sundried tomatoes
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. scallion, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (mild)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Place the slices of prosciutto onto a sheet pan covered with non-stick foil. Slowly bake the prosciutto until it is crispy - this can take 15-20 minutes. Check the prosciutto after about 10 minutes. Once the prosciutto is darker in color and crispy remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. Once the prosciutto slices are cool, break them up into bite-size pieces.
- While prosciutto bakes, place the ricotta into a small mixing bowl and add the salt, pepper, fennel pollen or ground fennel, thyme and scallions. Stir and mix together. Set ricotta aside.
- Increase the temperature of your oven to 450°F. Place the flatbread on another sheet pan covered with foil. Spread the ricotta mixture all over the top of the flatbread. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the ricotta, then sprinkle on the marinated tomatoes. Bake the flatbread for about 5 minutes then remove it from the oven. Top the flatbread with the prosciutto and bake for about 5 more minutes or until the flatbread is completely heated through.
- While the flatbread bakes for the second 5 minutes, place the arugula in a large bowl and drizzle a little bit of tomato vinaigrette over it. Toss gently.
- When the flatbread is finished remove it from the oven. Quickly top it with the arugula and a bit more of the tomato vinaigrette, if desired. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over all and cut the flatbread into about 6 portions. Serve hot. Makes about 6 smaller portions, or 4 larger portions.
Marinated Sundried Tomatoes
- Cut the sundried tomatoes into small pieces, about ¼”. Place the tomatoes into a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Allow the tomatoes to soften for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary.
- While tomatoes are softening, place the remaining ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and whisk together until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set tomato vinaigrette aside.
- Once tomatoes are softened, drain off any excess water. Pour about half the tomato vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Stir them to coat with the vinaigrette. Allow the tomatoes to marinate for about an hour before using. Or, store them in a container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1 ½ cups marinated tomatoes.