Chef Kristine’s Cookbook
Egg Salad Avocado Toast
- 8 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp tarragon finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon thyme finely chopped
- 2 ripe avocados
- 6 slices good quality sourdough bread
- Additional chives or chive flowers, forgarnish
- Using your hands, separate the egg yolks from the whites. Use the fine side of a cheese grater to grate the egg yolks into a medium mixing bowl. This ensures a smooth consistency in the finished recipe. Add the lemon zest, juice, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and the herbs to the egg yolk. Mix together with a fork until all the ingredients are fully blended. Next, chop the egg whites into very fine dice and add them to the yolk mixture. Stir with a small rubber spatula to gently incorporate the whites until the egg salad is blended well.
- Cut the avocados in half through the stem. Remove the pits and discard. Scoop out one avocado half and place it into a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to it and mash it all together with a fork. Set aside. Now cut the remaining avocado halves into quarters and remove the peel. Thinly slice the avocado and set aside.
- Put out 6 salad plates and toast the slices of sourdough. Place the slices of bread onto a cutting board and divide the mashed avocado evenly to spread each one with a little bit. Now place 3 or 4 slices of avocado on top of each piece of bread. Place a large spoonful of the egg salad on top of the slices of avocado on the pieces of bread. Spread the egg salad out a little so it is even over the top of the sandwich and easier to bite into. Garnish the egg salad with additional chives and place a sandwich onto each of the 6 plates. Makes 6sandwiches. Extra egg salad can be refrigerated and enjoyed for another 3 or 4 days.