Chef Kristine’s Cookbook
Chicken Breast Roulade With Apple, Leek And A Light Mustard-Thyme Sauce
Enjoy with SCHUG Carneros Chardonnay
- 4 large chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 2 large leeks white part only
- 1 large apple peeled, cored, quartered
- 2 tbsp. thyme fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp. shallots minced
- ½ cup Chardonnay
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. additional fresh thyme chopped
- ¼ cup scallions thinly sliced
- Using the flat side of a kitchen mallet, pound the chicken breasts until evenly flattened to about 1/3” thick; set aside. Cut off root ends of leeks, quarter them lengthwise, and wash and dry them thoroughly. Cut apples in ¼” thick slices. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Gently cook the leeks and the apples until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool leek mixture slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Place chicken breasts onto a sheet pan covered with foil, side where skin was down. Divide the leeks and apples into four parts; arrange each portion evenly over the tops of the four chicken breasts. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each, then sprinkle each with some of the chopped fresh thyme. Next, roll up each breast, beginning with the narrowest end of the breast. Secure each roll with a toothpick or two.
- Melt 2 more tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Lightly brown the chicken rolls, starting with the sides secured with the toothpicks. Transfer the rolls to a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven; set aside to rest.
- Make sauce: Sauté the shallots in remaining butter over medium-high heat. When translucent, add the wine and reduce by half. Add the stock and reduce again by half. Now add the lemon juice and the mustard; stir and reduce heat to low. Add juices from the chicken rolls and the thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve: Slice each chicken roll into 3 or 4 slices, divide slices among 6 warmed serving plates. Pour a ladleful of sauce over each and garnish with the scallions. Serve immediately. Makes 6 first-course sized portions or 4 main course portions.